NOAA predicts near-normal hurricane season

By Staff Reports

According to the latest report released by the Climate Prediction Center, a subdivision of the National Weather Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), has forecasted that the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season is expected to exhibit a level of activity that is in close alignment with the average. This projection is based on extensive research and analysis of various meteorological factors, and it is intended to provide the public with a comprehensive understanding of what to expect in terms of weather conditions and potential hazards in the coming months. As always, it is advisable to closely monitor updates from NOAA and other reliable sources to stay informed and prepared for any unforeseen circumstances.

Based on the recently released Atlantic hurricane season outlook by the NOAA, which spans from June 1 to November 30, it has been determined that there is a 40% likelihood of experiencing a near-normal season, a 30% likelihood of an above-normal season, and a 30% likelihood of a below-normal season. This forecast provides valuable information for individuals and organizations living or operating in areas that are prone to tropical storms and hurricanes, allowing them to make informed decisions and take necessary precautions to mitigate any potential risks or damages.

The NOAA is forecasting that there is a possibility of 12 to 17 named storms occurring in the upcoming period. These storms are expected to exhibit wind speeds of 39 mph or higher. Additionally, the forecast predicts that out of these storms, 5 to 9 could potentially intensify into hurricanes, characterized by wind speeds of 74 mph or higher. Furthermore, there is a chance that 1 to 4 of these hurricanes could attain the category 3, 4, or 5 status, which is marked by wind speeds of 111 mph or higher.

Based on the latest predictions, it has been forecasted that the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season will exhibit a relatively lower level of activity as compared to the preceding years. The anticipated outcome is primarily attributed to the presence of opposing factors that have the potential to either impede or promote storm formation. Consequently, the current forecast indicates a hurricane season that aligns within the normal range, thereby minimizing the likelihood of catastrophic weather events. ●


Florida's Environmental News

Subscribe today to receive our weekly newsletter, delivered to your inbox every Monday morning.